Popular Posts

Strawberries and Mangoes and Avocados ...... (oh my!)


Here's exactly how I know it is officially Spring.

Strawberries, mangoes and avocados all go on sale at exactly the same time.     Crazy, right?

The obvious signs of Spring can be sprouting all around me, but it is not officially Spring until this happens.   Daylight savings, the obnoxious coat of yellow pollen, the ten foot black snake that appears on my walking trail, the frantic spring cleaning.  All great indicators, but they do not have the final say.

I know when it happens because every year I get excited that my favorites are all on sale and I buy too much.   And every year, without any sort of master plan, the first thing I always make is my special fruit salsa.

I am going to share it with you today, because I like you and I think you might like it.   It is about as non-recipe as you can get.    More a lesson in superior chopping skills.  

If there's any flaw here, it is in the fresh herbs.    Inevitably, by this time each year, I have procrastinated on planting my herb garden pots and have to give in to buying the ridiculously overpriced herbs in the plastic packaging with the dirt and roots.   I like to think there's some sort of wash rule in effect where the reduced price of the fruits cancels out the exhorbitant amount of money I spend on basil and cilantro.

What's with those packaged herbs anyway?   Is one suppose to plant these or just lop off the leaves?   (serious question.)



Strawberry, Mango and Avocado Fruit Salsa

Ingredients

5 - 10 strawberries, diced
1 mango, diced
1 avocado, diced
1/2 small red onion, diced
1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
1 handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Preparation

Add everything to a medium sized bowl and mix.    Add several generous splashes of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.  

Super easy and very fresh.   Everything good about spring in a colorful little fruit salsa.    If I don't end up eating it all with spoon, I like to serve it with grilled chicken.

What is your official sign of spring? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...